The European Museum Academy
The European Museum Academy is a volunteer society of museum experts from different national and cultural backgrounds, united for the advancement of knowledge in museology. The work of EMA is based on a curriculum of proved capacity in developing and managing innovative museum projects. Museums are a relevant tool to confront socio-economic and cultural challenges in contemporary society. The Academy subscribes to the role of the modern museum as a meeting place and a forum for the development of scientific debate, creativity, social cohesion and cultural dialogue.
Our September event: 2020-2021 Online Awards Ceremony
- LAM MUSEUM’S VIEWPHONE HEADS TO AUSTRALIAThe Museum of Contemporary Art Australia (MCA) in Sydney is adopting the Viewphone concept from the Dutch LAM museum. The Viewphone, offers one-to-one phone calls with museum staff.
- INCREASING FUTURE AWARENESS THROUGH THE SoPHIA MODELINCREASING FUTURE AWARENESS THROUGH THE SoPHIA MODEL Can we develop the SoPHIA model on cultural heritage impact assessment to make cultural heritage management become better at anticipating changing needs and benefits of heritage, so that they can inform decisions made today for the future? This is a question that the Center for Applied Heritage at Linnaeus University will investigate together with the Nordic Centre of Heritage Learning and Creativity (NCK), […]
- THE WAY WE WERETHE WAY WE WERE It is difficult to imagine how we functioned before computers, emails and the internet. In 1975 Kenneth Hudson and I produced the first edition of The Directory of Museums, published by Macmillan (864 pp), relying solely for our research on the worldwide postal system and 35,000 individual cards on which information was painstakingly compiled. We amassed an interesting collection of foreign postage stamps, and received some amusing […]
- WINNERSWINNERS THE 2020/2021 EUROPEAN MUSEUM ACADEMY AWARDS On Saturday 18 September the winners of three Awards by the European Museum Academy (EMA) were announced during an online ceremony hosted by EMA Chairman Karl Borromäus Murr in the Drents Museum (Assen, the Netherlands). Due to the Covid-19 restrictions, the judging visits to candidates have been cancelled for the last two years and have been replaced by online interviews. The Luigi Micheletti Award 2020/21 goes to Futurium in […]
- OBITUARY GRAZIANNOOBITUARY GRAZIANNO Our colleague and friend Graziano Campanini, Director of the Museum of Health in Bologna, passed away on August 20th. His funeral was held in Pieve di Cento (Bologna), the little town to which he has dedicated so many energies in the cultural field. His loss happened just two weeks before the opening of the new Municipal Picture Gallery which was his creation. Graziano was with EMA since its […]